Thanksgiving week travel tips from McCarran Las Vegas
Plan to arrive at least two hours before your scheduled departure time. Travel can be stressful, especially around the holidays. Start things off right by giving yourself the gift of adequate time. Do you need to park a car? The parking structures and lots are typically busier around Thanksgiving, so finding a space may take longer than you expect. In fact, because of heavier local traveler demand, McCarran Las Vegas anticipates certain public parking facilities, like the Terminal 1 Long-Term Garage and the Terminal 3 Economy Lot, will reach capacity.
Customers will be redirected to available parking facilities should this occur. Parking isn’t the only area that will be crowded. Do you need to check bags? Then you’ll likely be waiting in line at the ticketing counter. More people traveling also means increased wait times at security screening areas. Are you prepared for the checkpoint? Visit www.tsa.gov for the latest travel guidelines from the Transportation Security Administration.
There are many parking options, and all will be busy.
- Both Terminal 1 and Terminal 3 parking garages offer Long-Term parking at a rate of $2 for the first 30 minutes, $3 for 31-60 minutes, and $1 for every hour after that, up to $16 per day.
- Valet parking is $6 for the first hour and then $1 for each additional hour, up to $23 per day.
- McCarran also offers terminal-specific Economy parking at a rate of $10 per day.
- The Economy Lot serving Terminal 1 is located off of Kitty Hawk Way, just south of Tropicana Avenue and west of Paradise Road. Shuttles run continuously between this Economy Lot and Terminal 1, and drivers using this lot should set aside at least 30 additional minutes to travel to or from the airport. This shuttle will not deliver passengers to Terminal 3.
- Economy parking for Terminal 3 is available in the surface lot located just east of the Terminal 3 parking garage and within walking distance of the Level 1 pedestrian bridge leading into the terminal. When approaching the Terminal 3 parking garage, drivers should follow the posted directional signs to Economy Parking to take advantage of the economy rate.
- For 24-hour parking information, including live updates on space availability, call (702) 261-5122.
“Know Before You Go”
Where is my airline’s ticketing counter located – Terminal 1 or Terminal 3? And which security checkpoint should I use? Is my flight on time? These are all questions that can be answered by visiting www.mccarran.com. You may believe you know your way around McCarran based on past trips, but some airlines and services have relocated to different parts of the airport.Take the time to get to know the lay of the land before you leave home, and you’ll be happy you did.
Picking someone up?
McCarran Las Vegas has a Cell Phone Lot located off of Kitty Hawk Way – just follow the posted signage. This short term waiting area is offered free of charge and is open from 6:00 AM – 1:00 AM daily. Once you’re on your way to Passenger Pick-Up, look for the numbered columns to make meeting up easier. And if your party isn’t at the curb yet, pull into Short-Term parking to wait. Parking at the curb is prohibited, but the first 15 minutes in the lot are free. Be sure to use the exit lane reader, not a walk-up kiosk, to claim the free minutes.
Before heading to the airport to pick up your loved ones, be sure to check their flight status at www.mccarran.com and confirm which terminal serves their airline(s).
Photo: Las Vegas Airport